Sign up to our weekly newsletter
Marketing tips and tricks delivered straight to your inbox, plus our latest news.
Free PR resources
A collection of free and exclusive downloadable resources to help your PR.
We recently spoke at the British Marine Spring Expo about the importance of internal communication to build your business from the inside out. How you treat your people forms the lifeblood of your organisation. Great internal communication directly contributes to the profitability, reputation and success of your company.
Here are the steps to take to create an effective internal communications plan:
1) Purpose – this is why your business exists. Your team need to know how their role plays into the bigger picture.
2) Audit – it is critical to understand what your starting point is. A good indicator would be to conduct an anonymous staff survey conducted by a third-party (we use Engagement Multiplier).
3) Objectives – with the results from your team survey you should be able to see where you need to make improvements. These areas will form your objectives.
4) Segment – just with external communications, don’t take a ‘one size fits all’ approach. It’s up to you how you segment your audience – it could be by location, department or job role.
5) Define your messaging – messages should be relevant and appropriate to the audience.
6) Channels – use your employee survey to find out how your team want to be communicated with.
7) Content – stats show staff are more likely to consume company information if provided in video or infographics but in order to reach everyone within your organisation, you will need to use a variety of communication types.
8) Repeat – once you begin an internal comms plan you need to commit to it. Starting something and not seeing it through will cause more issues than not doing anything at all!
If you would like some advice on how to grow your business from the inside out, please contact Sophie on email@example.com or call 01460 241641.