Everybody has been affected by the Covid-19 pandemic in some way and with a second lockdown coming into force, disruption to peoples’ lives and the overall economy looks set to continue for the foreseeable future.
Many businesses are facing difficult decisions about the future of their current work force, with thousands facing unemployment in a saturated jobs market.
Those between the ages of 16 -29 are paying a particularly high price with 55% of young people believing their options for the future have been significantly limited by the crisis. Scheduled gap years and internships have been postponed, jobs are sparse and those in higher education are concerned about their future prospects.
Then there are those who have had their job security pulled from underneath them at a time when a large majority of companies have a freeze on recruitment, causing significant damage to people’s confidence and anxiety levels.
The stats make for grim reading:
- There are currently 1.5 million people unemployed in the UK with figures expected to rise
- 156,000 fewer 16-24 year olds are employed compared to three months ago
- Analysis from Citibank suggests the unemployment rate could hit 8.5% in the first half of 2021 – a level not seen since the early 1990s.
We’re being bombarded with grim statistics on a daily basis, but it’s important to remember that behind the numbers are individual people, and it doesn’t take much to imagine ourselves in the same position.
Like many others, ADPR has been impacted by the economic consequences of the pandemic, but we have managed to weather the storm this far and there isn’t a day that goes by where we don’t feel incredibly fortunate to still be standing and fighting on.
Whilst we aren’t currently in a position to recruit, we believe that businesses have a hugely important role to play in supporting those who have found themselves in crisis as a result of the current situation.
We have been inundated with people contacting us in search of job roles and work experience and it’s been heartbreaking to hear stories of those applying for hundreds of roles without receiving so much as a single reply. Put simply, we want to help!
We are now offering completely free careers advice and support for anyone considering a role in PR & Marketing.
- Want to know what it’s really like to work in PR and Marketing?
- What skills do you need to work in PR?
- Not sure where to begin and need some general advice?
- Looking for the best training courses to refresh your current skill set?
- Do you know where to look for the best jobs online?
- Do you want someone to cast an eye over your CV?
- Do you know what will impress a future employer and how to stand out?
- Looking for work experience or other connections?
If any of these questions resonate, then you have nothing to lose by making contact. We may not be able to provide paid roles right now, but that doesn’t mean that we don’t have something of value to offer.
We are incredibly passionate about communications, we have a highly skilled team with vast amounts of knowledge to share, and we care greatly about supporting other people and their careers.
Here’s how it works:
- Nobody is exempt. If you have an interest in communications then we are happy to chat!
- Simply contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the title ‘Career support chat’ and we will arrange a 30 minute Zoom appointment with a member of our expert team
- It’s all about you! Come armed with questions, or let us know in advance what you’d like to discuss and we’ll make sure that your time with us is as valuable as it can be
- Limited work experience placements will be made available where possible.
There’s no doubt that times are tough, but sometimes the smallest acts of support can make a big difference. We may not have all the answers, but we will always take the time to listen and respond. After all, that’s what good communication is all about!
Building on your PR strategy doesn’t need to be complicated or costly, but you need to create and deliver a comprehensive plan because it will have a positive impact on the bottom line of your business. Don’t just download our PR For Small Business guide – actively utilise the tools it offers for your business. We guarantee you’ll see results!